[Fwd: A better way to use GtkTreeView: Proxy classes and lazy instantiation]

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be
--- Begin Message ---
>From the far far corners of the maemo development list, I bring
you . . .

A technique to use the GtkTreeView with a Proxy design pattern for the
items in a list model.

This technique (this pattern) gives you the possibility to use rich real
subjects in enormous amounts in a Model View Controller paradigm like
the GtkTreeView story on devices and or platforms with few memory
resources.

A sample implementation would, for example, have a memory expensive
MsgHeader instantiation. The proxy's however, aren't expensive for the
memory.

Note that my wiki is indeed read-only, but .. if you ask for a login: I
will ALWAYS give you one. I've done this to block spam bots.

http://www.pvanhoof.be/wiki/index.php/Smart_ways_of_using_GtkTreeView

The maemo wiki isn't read-only. On this page I try to explain how we
could enhance the osso-email application by 'simply' redesigning it ;-)

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ImprovementIdeasForOssoEmail

Suggestions and other techniques are welcome. It would be nice if other
people would send me (to the wiki or by asking a login or e-mail) their
design pattern implementations in a GObject style piece of code. If you
did such stuff before: I'm highly interested in your work. Let's share
it and put it on wiki's, webpages and documentation.

For many application developers it's probably even more important than
the many "performance" efforts on the libraries (being done these days
by people like Federico -- thank you for that, by the way) to have a
great documentation about techniques and implementing design patterns in
GObject.

I'm not saying the performance efforts aren't good or shouldn't be
happening. I contrary. But also our application developer should be well
educated not to use wrong techniques for less trivial designs.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be

--- End Message ---