Re: SCons'ified PyGTK

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:48 -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 06:35:19PM +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>
> >   Behold! A SCons'ified PyGTK is now available:
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/~gjc/pygtk-2.8.3.tar.gz
> > http://www.gnome.org/~gjc/pygtk-scons.diff
> >
> >   It needs scons 0.96.91, instead of make.  I had to invest a lot of
> > effort and time to make this happen, due to missing functionality in
> > base scons.  However, I tried to be careful to split out generic
> > functionality into a separate 'scons tool' that could potentically be
> > reused outside of PyGTK.  I didn't test it on win32, but in theory it
> > should work, with more or less adjustments.
> >
> > [snip snip]
>
> PyGTK runs fine on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 UNIX, and IRIX. Does
> scons know how to build shared libraries intelligently on these
> platforms?

Quoting from www.scons.org:

	"""Designed from the ground up for cross-platform builds, and known to
work on Linux, other POSIX systems (including AIX, *BSD systems, HP/UX,
IRIX and Solaris), Windows NT, Mac OS X, and OS/2."""

>  Is the intention to ditch autoconf/libtool in favor of
> scons?

  There's no specific plan in PyGTK, just a consideration.  But, if we
switch, I'm sure we'd get rid of autotools + distutils, otherwise what
would be the point?  PyGTK already ships a barely functional setup.py
(for python distutils) because win32 developers *always* complain that
building modules in win32 using autotools is very hard.  Whether that's
true or not I don't know, but at least a stigma exists, and users don't
even want to try autotools in win32.  And let's be reallistic here,
nowadays win32 is much more important these days than most unix
variants, linux excluded, due to the sheer number of potential
developers.

> With autoconf, setting things like an alternate bin directory
> (--bindir=<path>) and alternate python installation prefix
> (am_cv_python_pyexecdir=<path>) are trivial. What about scons?

  To install in a different prefix, type:
	# scons prefix=<path> install

  But I encourage you to try and report back any problems you find :)

  I also added bindir, libexecdir, libdir, etc.  These variables are not
standard in bare scons.  No one here suggests using scons alone, but
scons + some standard macros/tools.

  Anyway, I should try to send some of my scons improvements, currently
contained in a 'scon tool' which can easily be imported, upstream.  It
would be much easier if everything was already in scons.  Maybe one day
when I'm not feeling too lazy I'll try sending patches.. :P

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.