GNOME apps and Dual Core processors

Hello list,

Here's a question I had in my mind for a long time :

How does GNOME handle dual core processors?

I am working as a computer salesman and tech. I see that almost all
new computer have a dual core processor in it. The price drop in
processors makes the Intel Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz affordable, at about
105 $CA.

Maybe it's there, but I didn't see anything about it. There's not even
a lib to tell you if your proc is a single, dual or bunch of cores.

I think it would be usefull in a lot of gnome applications. For
example, if EOG knew that the computer was dual-core, it would start
rendering the third image in another thread, so that when people go,
"Next Next Next", it would be really fast.

I would also put everything background app in the second core, like rhythmbox.

Just tell me if it's there or not.. if not, I think I will try to work
this out as a contribution.

HAND,

Pascal Potvin