grouping the taskbar items...

Hi all,
I am trying to write a app for say grouping the taskbar items. Even if it is already available, for gnome, as some say, I would like to continue writing it, for sake of getting to know some programming in gnome. I would like to know, what are the prog langs, I should know to start this app. And can anyone, give me a pointer on, how I must approach the application design?

_z33
--
I love TUX; well... that's an understatement :)