Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 16:56 -0500, Manuel Amador wrote:
> El mar, 26-04-2005 a las 23:32 -0400, Joe Shaw escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 18:22 -0500, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > > Oh, this is good.  Any plans to moving to a system-wide daemon model?
> >
> > Moving to a solely system-wide model?  No.  The security implications of
> > a daemon running as root that monitors all the files on the system can
> > get hairy.  If you keep it per-user, then the security is fairly simple
> > filesystem permissions.

I don't see how you can run a per-user daemon without causing huge
wastage on a multi-user system.  How does slocate do it? a system-wide
search that inserts security permissions in a database and then
respects
them when responding to queries?  That is probably the way to go, even
if it is difficult to get right.  You will probably need some separation
of permissions in the setgid (or setuid) client part to keep the
dangerous stuff simple.

Peter Wainwright

--
Peter Wainwright <prw ceiriog1 demon co uk>