Re: Allow donations for precise bugs

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 09:12 +0100, Maurizio Colucci wrote:

Dear friends,

I apologize in advance for the cross-post but it seems adequate here, as this proposal involves users and developers.

IN BRIEF
--------

Currently, in bugzilla, I can file bugs or propose new features. My idea is to allow users to donate money directed towards a *precise* feature or a *precise* bug.

This is a very bad idea for one primary reason.  Users often request
insanely stupid features.  This isn't a "the user doesn't have a
problem" - it's, "the user invents a solution to their problem and
specifically requests that single solution, instead of identifying their
problem to the developers and letting the developer find a more optimal
solution."

Sean, this seems dangerous thinking to me. Your position is similar to rejecting democracy because "only few people are intelligent enough to decide how the world should be governed".

It's true that the majority of people rarely takes the best path, yet democracy is the best compromise, because most of the time a decent path is chosen by the masses.

In other words, the problem you raise does not really exist because, if a feature has been accepted by the majority (democratic voting), then it will not be so stupid as you claim it will be.

Maurizio