can't create new thread if network is running

I've built Gnome from cvs head, and I find most apps hang up if I'm running any ethernet devices (i.e. lan or cable modem).
Using gdb they all seem to hang up at this point :-

Starting program: /usr/bin/gedit
[New Thread -1226751872 (LWP 14377)]

hangs up here..
i.e. can't seem to create new threads. Same thing if gedit is already running and I try to use the file picker.. Only exception seems to be gnome-stystem-monitor, gets past this point ok if the network is up.
Kernel=2.6.12.mm2
Any suggestions on where to look ?
Thanks
Rod