Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 21:27 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
[...]

2) Use of an SQL database is a far superior, faster and flexible solution to using a dedicated indexer like the lucerne engine (all other competing engines like spotlight use sql databases). This is one area search services has got right.

Last time I worked on search and full-text indexing [1], relational
databases were far from ideal, and the few vendors that had used
them in that way had reimplemented using something more suitable.

What has changed??

Cause its not just about indexing - We have metadata too and that really needs a DB. If all you want is a google on your hard drive then yes a dedicated indexer would be best but an RDBMS will give you expanidbility and flebility in handling structured metadata with more powerful search options.

jamie.

Liam

[1] http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/lq-text/