Re: [gnome-devel] Re: Autodetect CD

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 00:39, James Kraetz wrote:
> Ivman is going to blow away all the other projects. If you want a gui,
> check out gnome-volume-manager, but for automagic automounting...

I'll second Luis comment that the website is completely useless for
someone who isn't already intimately familiar with ivman...

Anyways, I noticed some issues with the apparent design of ivman.
Namely, complete lack of integration with the desktop technologies.
Where are preferences stored?  How do they get distributed between
machines?  How are change notifications to preferences done?  If I pick
Totem as my movie player in GNOME, and Aktion in KDE (or whatever the
latest movie player there is), how does it know which desktop I'm in and
which to launch?  Being a completely non-GNOME project, it's not
possible for its non-standard config system to integrate into the
control center using the top-down approach being discussed on the list
now, is it?

I really do think the best approach is to let each desktop have its own
*-volume-manager type of thing that can better integrate with the
respective desktops to best match the technologies and interface
provided by those desktops.  Certainly it's not like a whole mess of
code would be duplicated, just a little event handler loop. ;-)
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.