Re: new mime detection approach

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 23:06, Papa Nebot wrote:
> El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 02:39, Julien Olivier escribió:
> > > It would also remove the problem (mentioned elsewhere) where
> > > thumbnailable filetypes aren't thumbnailed until they're clicked on.
> >
> > Which problem ?
> >
> > If your files have the right extension, they'll be thumbnailed.
> > If they don't have any extension, they'll be thumbnailed too.
> >
> > The only case where thumbnailing won't work before you click the file is
> > when the file has the wrong extension (for example a picture called
> > pic1.txt). But do you think it's a very common scenario ?
>
> With downloaded files and the internet, this is a more common scenario
> than misdetected files.  MP3 files posing as CABs, 404 downloads, stuff
> like that.

Here is a (possibly stupid) proposal:

How about using FAM to detect new files ? Then, whenever a new file
appears in the file-system (newly downloaded or created), nautilus
would sniff it to detect it mime-type. If the sniffed mime-type doesn't
match its extension, Nautilus would alert the user that the file has a
wrong extension and propose her to automatically change the file's
extension to match its real mime-type (with, maybe, a "don't ask me
anymore" checkbox).

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>