Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

yes, the directory scan was already cached - pretending to test
first-run is bullshit because you don't know if anything may have
already scanned the directory and thus pre-cached it.

unless someone knows of a way to be sure that there's no cache, it's an
impossible-to-do-fairly task.

anyways... about gnomevfs-ls:

- seems gnomevfs-ls stat()'s some of the mime-info files multiple times
even after it has opened/read them in.

- read()'s 4k from each file (4k is a pretty efficient size to read, but
if we don't *need* 4k, it might be overkill - file seems to read much
smaller chunks - 32 bytes and more if it needs it). I guess what should
be done is to decide what the max amount we ever need is and simply read
in that amount. if there are just a handful that need more or need a
chunk later in the file, perhaps encode this somehow in the mime-info
files?

also to keep in mind when comparing gnomevfs-ls vs ls, gnomevfs-ls has
to load/parse/etc several mime-info files - you need to remember that
normally an application using gnome-vfs will only have to load those
mime-info files once for the entire session and so other than that first
time nautilus loads a directory (which is basically just startup), it
will never need to load/parse those files again. whereas when comparing
ls vs gnomevfs-ls, it is a significant overhead.

anyways, because pre-caching makes such a huge impact on sniffing, it
does suggest that the process is i/o bound (duh, makes sense). and so
cacheing these sniff results in EA or some other file or something might
definitely be a way to go.

Jeff