Re: remote mount GNOME home directory?

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:05:16 -0700, Josh Kuo
<josh kuo prioritynetworks net> wrote:

> I have searched the mailing archive, some news groups, and google, and
> found no success stories.
>
> I am trying to run a GNOME session over the network via LDAP
> authentication, to remotely mount (nfs, webdav, smb...) an user's home
> directory. So far, from both my own experience and what I gathered from
> other's stories, no luck.
>
> http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-10/msg02858.php
>
> The post points out that GNOME is "picky" about file locking. How so
> exactly? I am hoping some GNOME developers can clarify this for me. Is
> GNOME capable of running a remotely mounted home directory? My
> impression from those who I have talked to and things I have read
> suggest that perhaps it is not a supported feature, or is not yet mature
> enough to be used.

It is not Gnome that is picky about locking, it is GConf:

        http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to the FAQ section, in
particular the questions "I'm having a lock file problem. What do I
do?" and "Can I bypass the lockfile stuff?".

If you are having specific problems try asking on gconf-list gnome org: