Re: To Discuss: Application Startup Time

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Ah, yeah. It stats each directory, but not each icon. However,
> it seems that the amount of directories have gotten quite
> large.

I honestly thought that getdents() *did* have to read the inodes
for all the files, at least on ext2/3.  Where else could the
d_type field come from?  I remember reading a flame war to this
effect at some point a few years ago; I don't remember where.

Regardless, the problem and fix remain the same.  Typical gnome
apps need to load only a tiny fraction of the icon files in a
theme, so building an in-memory cache of all the files is a
needless waste.

Andy