Re: Deciding whether we're running under Gnome

> > How can a program such as Emacs decide whether the user is currently
> > using Gnome or not ?  Emacs is not itself a Gnome application, but
> > it would be good for it to try and obey the user's Gnome settings
> > when applicable, but the user's Gnome setting should obviously not
> > be obeyed if the user is currently running KDE or yet-something-else.
> >

> The way we need to do this is that
> GTK, Qt, and Emacs should both obey settings stored on the display,
> e.g. with XSETTINGS.
> See http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xsettings.html

The question is not just for colors.
E.g. should Emacs use gnome-moz-remote or kde-moz-remote (I have no
idea if KDE has such a thing and if so how it's called) to open
a page in the default browser ?

> Emacs in CVS uses GTK though, so you can do it a lot simpler and just
> copy the colors etc. from GTK.

Emacs in CVS does not "use GTK": it can be compiled to use the GTK toolkit
for menus and scrollbars, just as previous Emacsen could be compiled
with the Motif toolkit.
And IMHO even Emacs compiled with GTK should prefer kde-moze-remote over
gnome-moz-remote when running under KDE.

	Stefan