Re: Making a private lib for linking

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 23:09, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 28/07/2003 11:03 AM, Curtis C. Hovey wrote:
>
> >I recently upgraded my autotools while using jhbuild, but I discovered
> >Medusa wasn't making its .a private libs after that even though its
> >Makefile contains 'LDFLAGS = -static'.  I removed AM_DISABLE_STATIC and
> >all is better.  Is this the right thing to do when I'm making a private
> >lib to link into my main lib?  Is there a better way?
> >

> Does your jhbuildrc file tell jhbuild to pass the "--disable-static"
> option to autogen scripts?

No it does not.  Medusa was definitely knackered after the autotool
change, not by jhbuild.  I added a Medusa dependency to jhbuild to see
if it could build Medusa using the new tools, and the answer was no.

I was seeing this message that implied the medusa-idled .a was wacked:
../libmedusa-internal/.libs/libmedusa-index-2.so: undefined reference to
`medusa
_idle_service_sleep_until_idle'

I updated configure.in following the example of a few other libs built
by jhbuild and Medusa is building right, manually and by jhbuild.

But the question remains, was Medusa building right because I was using
a old set of autotools to compile old code?  Is my fix correct?  The
libtools 1.5 docs suggest using AC_DISABLE_STATIC, and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL,
instead of AM_.  Should I update to use the AC_ versions of the macros
since I want something that builds well with GNOME 2.4?

BTW:  jhbuild is brilliant.  Its like having Ant and autotools at the
same time.  I wish I could get Anjuta to use it as a part of the build
system.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.