Gnome Canvas Transparency

Hi,

I have created a gnome canvas and I can display a pixbuf on it. The pixbuf has an alpha channel, which is renders fine.

I would like to know how to put a chequered background on the canvas so that it can be seen through transparent areas of the image. I could add another pixbuf behind it, but then when the canvas is zoomed, so would the chequered pixbuf (I want the squares to stay the same size, and to tile all the way across the canvas).

Any ideas?

Chris.