how to eliminate gnome-terminal internal border

I have gnome-terminal using a 10x15 font on a 1600x1200 display.  I
would like to have it fit exactly in half the display, 800x1200 for
80x80 characters.  I have already eliminated the window manager frames.
 There is still an internal border however.  I thought I would just
hack the source; I added the barred line to terminal_window_init in
terminal-window.c:

  gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window),
                     window->priv->main_vbox);

| gtk_container_set_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (window), 0);

  gtk_box_pack_end (GTK_BOX (window->priv->main_vbox),
                    window->priv->notebook,
                    TRUE, TRUE, 0);

This has no effect, even when I set it to a postive value like 10.  Can
anyone give me a clue here?

Please reply via email as I do not subscribe to this list.  Thanks,
Adam