Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:53, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:51:33AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	My feeling is still that even if you come up with a near perfect
> > solution, you'll be stultified at the point of actually getting it
> > anywhere near glib.
>
> If there's a good case for it, and someone makes the case, there's no
> problem getting something in GLib.
>
> The first question will obviously be "how does it relate to
> GIOChannel"

	Well the very asking of that question almost beggars belief as we see
the number of non-GIOChannel streams that are crawling out of the
woodwork. Presumably you think that GIOChannel is an acceptable
solution?

	Quite why we want the bulk of all the buffering, encoding conversion
etc. etc. in the base stream abstraction I have no idea. Furthermore
it's not a sub-classable GObject - and it's not an abstract class, it
has a great swathe of '<private>' (but public) members, etc. So - at
last count we had:

	GnomeVFS - badly needing a stream API
	libgsf stream object - blocking API, GPL(?)
	gmime-stream - non-blocking apparently, GPL
	Bonobo_Stream - blocking, mostly unused
	GStreamer - presumably has it's own streaming stuff

	So clearly, it's not just me that things that GIOChannel is a broken
foundation to build on - so yes; we need to bloat the API and provide
something parallel that does what people want, and presumably deprecate
GIOChannel.

	IMHO,

		Michael.