Re: Why file content sniffing sucks

  While I agree that the original email was heavy-handed and sarcasm
laden, the author did pose some good questions and valid technical
points.  Why is file content a necessary in Nautilus and GnomeVFS?  It
does seem to incur more cost than the benefits it imparts, even when
viewing it from only a system resource (disk IO) perspective.

  As a long time Gnome user, I kind of question the need for forcing
what should be an optional feature on the user base.  Perhaps you might
address the questions and not the authors mean spirited attitude in
asking those questions...

--
Pat Smith
UNIX Administrator

This email and its attachments are confidential under applicable law are
intended for use of the senders addressee only, unless the sender expressly
agrees otherwise, or unless a separate written agreement exists between
Iron Mountain and a recipient company governing communications between the
parties and any data that may be so transmitted. Transmission of email over
the Internet is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or
have requested the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable
privacy laws, by means of email or in an attachment to email, you may wish
to select a more secure alternate means of transmittal that better supports
your obligations to protect such personal data. If the recipient of this
message is not the recipient named above, and/or you have received this email
in error, you must take no action based on the information in this email.
You are hereby notified that any dissemination, misuse or copying or
disclosure of this communication by a recipient who has received this message
in error is strictly prohibited. If this message is received in error please
return this email to the sender and immediately highlight any error in
transmittal.
Thank You