Re: of gtk_scrolled_window's viewports and clipping

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 00:47, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>   If I have a gtk_drawing_area stuffed inside a gtk_scrolled_window
> (using gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport) what are the limits
> on the size of the scrollable region?
>
> And lets say I have a scrollable region of 10M pixels and I've got
> a 1000 pixel wide window looking at it; their is a line in my
> doucment that is the entire width of the widget (i.e. 10M pixels).
>
> Will Gdk/Gtk/Gnome cope with me trying to draw that or are there
> any limits imposed by them or the underlying windowing
> system even though I'm only actually drawing 1000 pixels on the
> real display?
>
> Dave
>
> P.S. This question was actually prompted by a 'be careful' note
> in the Qt docs telling you to clip things to sensible ranges
> (like 4000ish pixels) in the app before asking for them to
> be rendered and since I'm writing an app for both KDE and Gnome
> I wondered if there were similar issues.

X has a limit of 16 bit window coordinates, however gtk 2.x works around
this with a technique called "guffaw scrolling", so this should not
cause any problems.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a gun-slinging albino gangster who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
time-travelling Bolivian queen of the dead with a birthmark shaped like
Liberty's torch. They fight crime!