[OT] Licence question

Hi

Sorry for the cross-post - I'm not sure which list can give me the right
answer.

I have a licence question: can I read the source code of a GPL-ed
library to get implementation ideas while developing a competing LGPL-ed
library (without actually using the source code, of course) ?

Specifically, there is a QT scintilla wrapper
(http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/qscintilla/index.php) and I'm
planning to write a similar high level OO GTK+ wrapper around Scintilla
for anjuta/anjuta2 (or extending the current GtkScintilla2 wrapper if
that fits in).

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Biswa.