Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:03, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Bill, why do we need DOM?

	Currently there is a AtkDocument interface that exports a single
method:

	gpointer getDOM (); // or sim.

	Which seems to me not the best interface to build the requirements
around ;-)

> CSS is very helpful for accessibility, but there are other ways of
> reformatting.

	I couldn't agree more; there should be no need for access to the DOM if
we can provide good accessible interfaces for the document. Indeed,
having the DOM tree in parallel to the Atk tree seems to cause far more
trouble than it's worth, and a far more limited set of information to
boot. Oh, and then we'd need a CORBA interface for the DOM for it to be
useful to AT vendors.

> However the w3c accessibility User Agent Guidelines require that DOM be
> made available by HTML and similar content viewing agents.

	The question is - is that a sensible requirement; and does it fit in
with the way Gnome a11y works ? or is that a minimum requirement for
things that have no other form of accessible interface.

> Perhaps a future solution would be to use a gecko or Moz=based viewer
> for such content in "accessibility" cases.

	Ultimately it's a huge, long term (and profoundly unnecessary to my way
of thinking) task, so - it would seem that the minor task of providing a
DOM interface to FooHtmlRenderer is small in comparison ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.