Slow execution of applications !!!!

  Dear Sirs

  I have installed Red Hat LINUX version 8.0 on a K6-500Mhz computer with
  256 Mb RAM. The /boot-partition is 100 Mb, the swap-partition is 510 Mb
and
  the root-partition (/) is the remaining space of the harddisk (37550 Mb).
It is
  a 40 Gb harddisk.

  When I try to run OpenOffice-writer it takes 30 seconds before the program
is
  started. That is very very very very slow. When I start Microsoft WORD
2000
  on a computer with Windows 2000 it only takes about 5 seconds before this
  program is started. GNOME is in general VERY slow when it comes to
program-
  execution. I hope that you have focus on that !!!!!!

  I hope that you would do something to increase the speed of
program-execution.

  My e-mail-adress is : jan christensen riva-systems dk

  I hope to hear from you

  Best regards

  Jan Christensen