Re: new file selector dialog?

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 18:09, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 16:58, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > I find it rather odd that RH, Ximian, or one of the other big GNOME
> > contributors didn't assign this task to somebody... the file selector is
> > still probably the most hated feature of GTK/GNOME by most people.
> > Having just that changed in GNOME 2.0 would've been absolutely
> > wonderful.  ^,^
>
> If it was really that hated maybe someone in the community could have or
> would have taken care of it.
>
> The assumptions in this post really scare me, to be honest. If the
> community ever gets to the point where the assumption is that all
> difficult and useful work gets done by Ximian or RedHat or Sun then the
> community (and that includes RH and Ximian, who are very much dependent
> on the community) is in trouble. RH and Ximian can only do what we do
> because the community does some of the heavy lifting. If all the sudden
> we have to do all the heavy lifting... that'll be a sad day for GNOME.

That wasn't quite what I was implying.  I was saying, simply, that since
no one in the community *did* take care of it, the companies that make
money off of GNOME/Linux might've decided to handle it.  After all, the
community has nothing to loose if we wait until GNOME 2.2/3.0/24.5 to
implement a decent file selector.  The companies have quite a bit to
loose if people decide that KDE/Win/Macs are better, because they have
intelligent designs on the simple things like file selectors.

I, personally, like the file selector as is (minus the loosing of
directory names).  The only thing I'd probably add are some prettier
icons and short cuts to Home and the common devices (CD-ROM, Floppy)
with maybe auto-mounting of those devices if they're not already...
::drool::