Re: gnome (gconf) saga - please read

Hi,

The problem you encountered is that the OS does not remove stale NFS
locks after a hard kernel crash or power loss on the NFS client side.

Stephen Tweedie says this is an operating system bug.

Nonetheless I would like to work around it on the GNOME level, if I
could figure out how to do so without accidentally removing real
locks. The only way I know how to do that is on login to check for
locks, and ask the user if they are still valid. Some users will
answer incorrectly and end up with data corruption due to multiple
apps holding a lock, though, so it worries me a bit.

Better ideas are welcome. In the end the only robust fix is to get the
OS problem fixed. I'd encourage you to report the problem to your OS
vendor (already reported to Red Hat).

Havoc