Signal problem with canvas w/i canvas

I've got a Gnome canvas set up to have several other items and widgets
placed in it.  One of which is yet another Gnome canvas.  My problem is
this:

1.  I can connect connect a signal / callback to the new canvas.
2.  New items created on the "sub" canvas CAN NOT have signals /
callbacks connected to them.

In other words, the items (eg., lines, rectangles) in the "sub" canvas
never get the callback.  I've got a very simply case where mouse over
the items should generate some kind of signal.  But gdb and printf
tracing shows that nothing is there.

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thanks,

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.virginia.edu/music/vccm.html