Re: gnome2 WM bug?

mdew <mdew orcon net nz> writes:

> Under root, gnome2 works like a charm (metacity as a WM) however, under
> a "normal" user gnome2 cant start properly, from the looks of it, it
> cant execute the windowmanager?
> heres the X11 startx
>
> http://mylogin.orcon.net.nz/startx.debug
>
> Ive tried both X11 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 (Running Debian Sid) and giving me
> the same error
>
> executing via ~/.xinitrc, exec gnome-session
>
> as I said, under root gnome2 loads perfectly, just not under a normal
> user :/

Hmm, I'm wondering if this is related to problems I've seen on
my machine where it sometimes launches a whole bunch of copies of
the window manager (judging from the number of icons it displays)
and takes forever to log in.

I've always ignored it as "screwed development machine" but
maybe there is some problem with gnome-session launching items
from the session many times.

Regards,
                                        Owen