Calling gtk_widget_show()

Hello All,

I noticed that in some gtk apps the window doesn't plop on the
screen all at once; some of the widgets appear before the others,
in spite of the fact that gtk_widget_show() of the main window
was being called last, after all the other widgets.
Could someone please explain why this is happening?
The program was doing some computations after calling
gtk_widget_show(). So I removed the call and set it up to be
called as an idle function. This seemed to solve the problem.
Is this the right way to do it? Is it a good idea to do it
like this in general?

(Please Cc replies to me as I'm not on the list)
Thanks,
Arvind
--
Its all GNU to me