Re: Of file dialogs and customizable toolbars

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 16:33, Olof Oberg wrote:

> On 2002-07-1 15:0:34 (+0530)
> Biswapesh Chattopadhyay <biswapesh_chatterjee tcscal co in> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > This is my first post - so apologies if I'm merely repeating something
> > obvious.
> [snip]
> Read the "filesel notes" thread on gtk-devel which Havoc
> Pennington started March 9.

Read through it (also 'new file selector dialog' in the gnome-devel list
by mdew 7th march). Is there any concrete API/code anywhere ?

> If I remember correctly the first thing to do was to make a
> survey of the file selectors of other toolkits (Havoc made a
> brief one) and then list the requirements for one in gtk+/GNOME.
>
> I have a vague recollection that one of the Anjuta developers
> was looking at this, but I might be wrong.

I suppose you mean Phillip, who AFAIK wrote the gtkfileselection stuff
for Anjuta. I have gone through the anjuta/widgets/gtkfileselection.*
and anjuta/widgets/gtkdirselection.* - also did some fixes (mainly
leaks). However, what I have in mind is something more advanced. IMO, we
should have two file selectors (ala Qt/KDE) - the GTK+ one and a GNOME
one. The GTK+ one needs to bother about platform portability, etc.
(GNOME is *NIX only AFAIK). The closest one is KFileDialog (though I do
not like the API overmuch, e.g. the "*.C|C files" stuff)- does anyone
have any code for a widget which comes close to the functionality
provided by the KFileDialog class ?

> The library you are looking for might be "libegg"
> http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/libegg/

Thanks for the pointer - I didn't know this existed. Esp. the actions
stuff seems pretty interesting and close to KAction
(http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/libegg/libegg/menu/howitshouldwork.txt)
I do not see toolbar/menu customization to be a part of this but it
seems to be a framework on this it can be implemented (local UI files /
moving nodes around based on GConf prefs before realization maybe ?)

BTW, why isn't the advanced file selector in libegg ? Is it already in
GTK, or is it being worked on privately ?

Also, from the README, it seems that libegg stuff will be integrated in
GNOME in the future. Are there any plans to make individual modules
available seperately once they have reasonably stabilized in the
meantime ?

Rgds,
Biswa.