Re: Building on Solaris : /bin/sh != bash

When last we left our heros, they were speaking of:

> On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 03:44, Tomas Ogren wrote:
>
> > Hm. it seems to be included, sorry.. but not installed if you do a
> > jumpstart with the SUNWCXall cluster which is "Entire Distribution Plus
> > OEM Support" .. So I guess it won't be installed if you just click on
> > that in the install program either.. It's optional, so assuming it
> > exists _will_ break stuff.. (and AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, ...)

> Trust me on this - bash, zsh and tcsh are now a standard part of
> Solaris, and if they aren't getting installed for you you have an
> configuration issue.  Trust me on knowing this - see my second email
> address below. ;O)

> I wasn't suggesting that the configure scripts just altered the line
> without checking, however.  You're *not* going to convince the Linux
> people here to re-write their scripts for a different shell to the one
[...snip...]
> for a while before it became standard).  That would solve *so* many
> problems here, and would be unnoticed by most Solaris 8 and 9 users from
> now on.  It would just work. =O)

	Sure, this is all well and good...for Solaris and Linux users.  There
_are_ people out there who use _other_ operating systems than Solaris or
Linux, and those (mentioned by Tomas above) don't come with bash preinstalled.
Sure, you can download it and compile it, but is that really an excuse for
writing what is essentially non-portable code (albeit shell code)?  The line
about not being able to convince the Linux people here to re-write their
scripts for a different shell just scares me...so GNOME is now for Solaris
and Linux only?

								JF

--
justin ferguson                "They that can give up essential liberty to
jferg at thedotin dot net       obtain a little temporary safety deserve