Re: remove gnome-cd (and cddb-slave) from gnome-media

On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 12:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Marius Andreiana <mandreiana_lists yahoo com> writes:
> > Does anybody use gnome-cd on a regular basis? Yeah, we all started
> > it once, played a little with it, then returned to xmms (which uses
> > gtk too).
> >
> > Is there any reason for keeping it while there are better alternatives
> > and open bugs on nautilus/evolution?
>
> I haven't looked at gnome-media 2.0 but gtcd is approximately the
> right idea UI wise.
>
> xmms on the other hand is totally, totally broken: no consideration of
> i18n, no consideration of accessibility, and doesn't have window
> decorations.
>
> _I_ can't read the text in xmms - I don't think it's very practical
> for disabled users!
>
> Windows Media Player carefully preserves keyboard navigation when
> using the funky themes, and they have a "native widgets" theme that
> would work fine for i18n, high-contrast, etc., and has proper window
> borders.
>
> Where we should be going in the end is to a media player, of course,
> rather than simply a CD player, and handle i18n/accessibility as WMP
> does. But for GNOME 2 a simple native-UI CD player is the only way I
> see to ship something that works for i18n/accessibility.

I agree.  GNOME needs a *real* media player, not the funky XMMS or the
GTK hack of Xine.  XMMS is modelled after Winamp which is, on newer WIn
systems, mostly "obsolete", what with WMP (which is, as I see it, a much
better product).

I would imagine that when GStreamer gets more complete, a "themeable"
player based on that could be developed.  Something that handles music,
movies, whatever.  Add in GtkHtml and build some special websites for
music news/updates/samples, and we'd have something akin to WMP on
Linux.