Re: three open issues for gnome

Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com> writes:

> I'm fairly sure all the core GNOME apps use ESD.  If not, I'm sure there
> is support for a pseudo /dev/dsp device for ESD.  Is it part of ESD
> core, or a non-standard add-on?

Sure, the gnome apps use esd...but there's more than gnome.  I don't
know of any pseudo /dev/dsp device.  Can you give me pointers?  It's
not in the standard Debian version AFAICT.

> gnome-moz-remote shouldn't be used by modern applications.  The
> applications should be using the GNOME URL handlers, which you should
> configure for the web-browser of your choice.  Non-GNOME applications
> should make use of the BROWSER environment variable... if not, you
> should e-mail the application authors and tell them their app is broken;
> it doesn't follow the "standard way of doing things."

Hoever, gnome-moz-remote doesn't have a way of running a browser on a
different machine if you are coming in via ssh -X.

> > 3) mailto URLs.  I use Emacs to send mail.  When I click on a mailto
> > URL--within or without my web browser--it should pop up an emacs
> > window sending mail to the relevant spot.
>
> The same thing can be done using the previously mentioned URL handlers.
> I have mine setup to use Evolution; I'm sure you can set it up to launch
> the proper command for Emacs.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check this out.

Thomas