gnome canvas questions

Hello,

I have a couple questions concerning the GNOME Canvas.

     Question 1:
          As I understand it, the GNOME Canvas will redraw...
          (1) everytime a call is made to the function...

               void gnome_canvas_update_now(GnomeCanvas *)

           and (2) as a trigger of a the idle handler of the
           canvas by the glib main loop... i.e., from the
           "idle_handler".

           I was wondering if there was a way to turn #2
           off???

           The reason I want to be able to do this, is
           because I want to use the GNOME Canvas to do
           an animation.  And I don't want it to redraw
           until I've finished `changing' everything.
           Suspending redrawing is needed for this, or
           else the animation isn't going to look right.

     Question 2:
          Is there a way to alter the alpha value of everything
          in a GnomeCanasGroup?  (It would be nice if it could
          be done without altering the alpha values of the
          GnomeCanvasItem's within it.)

Thanks

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux . ca