Re: xml preformated text & db2html != gnome-db2html

Naba Kumar <kh_naba yahoo com> writes:

> I am just putting two questions together (they are unrelated).
>
> 1) How can I put preformated text (that may contain "</>" etc)
> without confusing the xml parser? Last time I tried, it was
> producing errors and core dumped. May be I'm missing something
> here, but I just couldn't make it.

You just escape the text, along these lines:

static void
append_escaped_text (GString     *str,
                     const gchar *text,
                     gint         length)
{
  const gchar *p;
  const gchar *end;

  p = text;
  end = text + length;

  while (p != end)
    {
      const gchar *next;
      next = g_utf8_next_char (p);

      switch (*p)
        {
        case '&':
          g_string_append (str, "&amp;");
          break;

        case '<':
          g_string_append (str, "&lt;");
          break;

        case '>':
          g_string_append (str, "&gt;");
          break;

        case '\'':
          g_string_append (str, "&apos;");
          break;

        case '"':
          g_string_append (str, "&quot;");
          break;

        default:
          g_string_append_len (str, p, next - p);
          break;
        }

      p = next;
    }
}

I'm not sure that's what you were asking, also I'm not sure if you
need the apos/quot escapes, but maybe it helps.

> 2) Why is gnome-db2html so happy to produce the whole chapter
> in a single page? It's annoying, since these so-called _chapters_
> in so-called _books_ tend to be big.
>
> db2html does fine with section per page. Moreover, the two programs seem
> to be parsing the sgml file differently and expecting different
> tags (jade was producing so much error compiling the gnome sgml
> docs). Are they suppose to work on different doc types?

This is just a matter of what stylesheet is used to format the docs,
we have a different one. I don't know the rationale etc.

Havoc