Re: [Vlad Harchev <hvv hippo ru>] problem with session management ingnome-1.4beta1

Lee Mallabone <lee fonicmonkey net> writes:

> Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Glynn Foster wrote:
> >> The --choose-session=ARG is really designed for remote displays. Actually
> >> it would be nice to be able to select a session to load from gdm, but
> >> that's not a beta issue ;)
> > That's only 10 lines
> > of shell code, that will bring us that flexibility, without the need for
> > hacking any desktop manager. What do you think about this?
>
> Is there a (clean) C interface for querying the list of named
> sessions, given a username/uid? If so, I think this is fairly trivial
> to add to gdmlogin. I think a panel popping up to the right of the
> user/password prompt with a list of all named sessions would work as a
> good user interface.
>
> This is something I'll gladly hack on if someone points me at the code
> for retrieving session names...

No, there is not a clean C interface.

There is not a clean _anything_ interface for communicating
information beyond what is covered in XSMP

A (IMO) high priority TODO item for gsm for GNOME 2.0 is toget rid of
the bad hack that Felix added for communicating extra data over the
XSMP protocol and replace that with a clean CORBA interface.

Regards,
                                        Owen