Meta data

Hello!

I wonder: Is anybody actually using the metadata functions in the
gnome-libs? I was looking through the Nautilus source code quickly. I
looked that Nautilus is using its own metadata ( I might be very wrong
here ).  Why the question: Well I'm trying to do a software that does two
things:

1. Finding duplicate files
2. Detecting changes of important files.

I need to store the following information about each file:

a. MD5 Checksum ( or other checksum/ signature )

b.I want to be able to set a Nautilus emblem on a duplicate/changed file.

So the big question is: Can I use metadata functions from the gnome-libs
for this?

Best regars,
Mats Loman