Re: Trouble with compilation gnome-libs-1.2.3 on HPUX 11.00

Radek Sedmak wrote:
> Hi All,
>         i am trying to compile Gnome on HP-UX 11.00 a i am in trouble.
> when i try to compile gnome-libs during configure section ( after ./configure
> --prefix=blabla  etc.)  configuration i got following error.
> configure error: Your db library is missing db 1.85 compatibility mode. It's
> because configure try to compile small program like this ......
> int main() {
>   dbopen();
> }
> and (linker) /bin/ld is Unsatisfied  with symbol  dbopen (code).
> So i took nm /path_to/libdb.a | grep dbopen
> result no symbol found...... so
> i downloaded db-3.1.17.tar.gz and build libdb.a with ./configure --prefix=blabla
>  !!!!!! --enable-comapt185 !!!!!!!!
> everythink looks very good insted of that new libdb.a library hasn't implemented
> function dbopen ????????? What am i doing wrong ???
> i have looked for library called libdb1.a but i was unable to find it .....
>                                                         Bye Sam

Hello to my friends in the Czech Republic!

I just had this problem, and I got mired in it for three weeks.  
Don't laugh.  It took me that long to get BerkeleyDB in and tested, 
figure out what they removed from 3.1.17, and try to tweak the configure 
script to fix it, and be sure that BerkeleyDB passed all it testsuite.  
I wanted to be sure my foundation tested flawlessly before I moved onto 
building gnome-libs.  BDB brought out problems in my development
platform (bad autoconf, bad gnu-m4, broken symlinks) that I had
to fix first.


Use db-2.7.7.  That's the one it tells us to use in the 
README/INSTALL docs, and that's for a good reason.  Once you compile 
that with --enable-compate185, you'll have dbopen.


And if your system is like mine, you'll frequently need to throw 
  LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib  ./configure --blah-blah

because configure doesn't repect your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Be sure that the permissions are right on all your /usr/local 
directories and files.  I've found these apps 
not setting the right perms, especially if you use a umask=0077.

  find /usr/local -type d -perm 700 -ok chmod 755 {} \;
  find /usr/local -type f -perm 700 -ok chmod 755 {} \;

Also, give gnome-libs-1.2.11 a whirl, rather than 1.2.3.
Then ld will find -ldb. 

Be well,

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]