Re: Accessibility module loading

> To: "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain sun com>
> cc: <gnome-devel-list gnome org>, Release Team
<gnome2-release-team gnome org>, Gnome Accessibility List
<gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Accessibility module loading
>

> Hi Padraig,
>

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> > My ambition is that GAIL will not export any API and that nothing will
> > depend on GAIL.
>
> 	This is wonderful news; in which case the libgnome module code can
> be relegated to poking at-bridge when neccessary to start / stop the
> accessibility support - and the whole thing becomes rather more trivial.
>
> > I am attempting to implement support accessibility suuport got
> > gtkhtml2 on this basis.
>
> 	Great - it's good to test this; does this involve cut and paste of
> eg. gailwidget ? - or perhaps that is what these new APIs are designed to
> avoid ?

No; that would fail the elegance test. What I am attempting to do is derive the
accessible for HtmlView from an object type determined at run time.

> > 1) Ading atk_object_factory_get_accessible_type () which returns the
> > GType of an accessible which the factory creates.
>
> 	Sounds fine from an API review POV - a minor addition.
>
> > 2) Adding a class which creates an accessible for an object which
> > derives from GObject. This is not necessary but would save wheel
> > reinvention when it is desired to associate an accessible with
> > something which is not a GtkWidget;  GnomeCanvasitem and HtmlBox are
> > examples.
>
> 	Is this a cut and paste of AtkObjectFactory ? with a simple sed
> AtkObject/GObject - in which case it might be better simply to make the
> AtkObjectFactory produce GObjects instead (?).
>
> 	Either way - this doesn't sound like an API review problem either
> - however, if/when you add the APIs can you immediately do a package
> release to avoid problems for people building from packages.

It is essentially moving GailObject from GAIL to ATK, doing a rename and
removing references to GtkObject.

Padraig