Re: BonoboPreview initiative - png in a control

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Do thumbnails in a file open dialog really need to be accessible?
> They're just extra info, and you can operate the file dialog just fine
> completely ignoring them. Indeed, having a screen reader read
> something that describes the file contents instead of just reading the
> name would be kind of silly.

Exactly; what I was saying is that providing a magic facility specially to
hold images is not sufficient.  For a start somethings are better
described by a piece of text, secondly as you say a text summary is useful
for screen reading.

So we seem to have 3 things (at least) going on:

  1) Some users might prefer (require)  a text summary rather than text.

  2) Some applications are best displayed with images and some with text

  3) We need performance.

Dave

(I've taken most people off the cc list and just left the lists on, I
guess most people are on one of the lists anyway)
|                 Home: dave @ treblig.org  http://www.treblig.org |