Re: Fwd: Re: gnome_show_url() hangs in threaded programs [pawsa theochem kth se]

On 2001.08.23 23:38 Pawel Salek wrote:
> I have forgotten to mention: I have gthread library from
> glib-1.2.10-ximian, kernel-2.4.3-12, and pthread from glib-2.2.2-10 (if
> that matters).
>
> /Pawel
>
> On 2001.08.22 21:52 Pawel Salek wrote:
> > I have impression that something has got broken in gnome_show_url() and
> > related functions (or perhaps, a bug has surfaced that has not been
> > active earlier).
>
> After closer investigation, I think the problem is in gthread library. I
> attach a test program with does some threading and forking at the same
> time.
> The program WorksForMe(TM) when compiled as follows:
> # cc atfork-test.c -lthread
>
> The program hangs when compiled as follows:
> # cc atfork-test.c -lgthread -lglib
>
> I think it should not happen so (and gnome programs hang because they
> link
> against gthread). Can someone confirm it? Offer a solution?
Like I said, I'm seeing the same behaviour.

However, it turns out that the program works if I do
% cc atfork-test.c -lgthread -lglib -lpthread -o atfork-test

I think this may present a possible work-around. For balsa, -lpthread is
included already, so it's not just a matter of inserting it, but the link
command is _very_ messy right now (some libs, including pthreads, are
specified several times, there are a lot of references to /usr/lib<lib>.so,
even for libs were -l<lib> is included, etc.), so perhaps you should try to
clean it up a bit?