Gnome 1.4 built. Gets Gdk-ERROR BadLength on XPutImage

I finally got Gnome 1.4 (or something close) built.  It took me a while
to discover all the modules I had to build and in what order, but it's
built.

First problem:  If I run gnome-session from a telnet session so that
I can see the errors it spits out, and use MI/X 3.0 for the X server,
it gives me the following error several times:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro

Request code 72 is XPutImage.  If I put a breakpoint in ProcPutImage()
in the X server, I find that it's putting a ZPixmap, 16x16 1-bit/pixel.

    // lengthProto == 4     i.e. 4 bytes/scan line (padded out to a multiple
of 4)

   (((lengthProto * height) + 3) >> 2) + (sizeof(xPutImageReq) >> 2)
which is
   (((4 *16) + 3) >> 2) + (24>>2)
which == 22 bytes

For some reason, the client is sending 38 bytes.  This is what it would send
if
the client thought it was supposed to pad each scan line to a multiple of 8
bytes,
but it's not supposed to do that.

I was able to "fix" it by patching the X server to allow it.  Some icons now
look
like crud, but they come up.  Two that are easy to identify are the arrows
at each
end of the "panel" at the bottom.

Second problem is that some clients refuse to start and won't give any
indication as to why.  If I knew how to find out what was being run by
various
menu items, I could run them by hand and see if they spit out any errors
that way.  Any idea where the configuration files for the menus are?

 -- Dave Williss
------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
   for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup