Setting background in 1.4?

I have an applet that sets the desktop background.  This has been no problem
for me but, with Nautilus apparently breaking any apps that want to draw the
desktop background on their own, I now have a problem. (I already have to go
from Imlib to gdk-pixbuf) I was hoping you could tell me a completely GNOME
solution that would work for setting the desktop background so that I
wouldn't have to drop down to X and also avoid problems like this in the
future.

Thanks in advance.
-Govind Salinas