Re: Running remote Gnome programs - problems with SSH

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 05:31:01PM +0100, Ian Campbell <ijc25 cam ac uk> said
> The name service doesn't have anything much to do with X, but you need to
> get an IOR for the name service so you can talk to it. This is what GOAD
> does, and that uses the X property to store the IOR in a well known
> and network transparent location
>
> As Eric just said, goad probably has problems, but oaf should work.
>
> Ian

Thanks for the clarification.  I had read it as there was something about the
name service its self that makes it a bad thing to run two name services on
the same display.  Its good that oaf makes things better, the ability to run
GNOME apps on a remote machine and have them display on your computer should
be one of GNOME's strenghts, not the lack of that property being a weakness.

One thing I'm still not clear about is why some apps don't have this problem,
while others do, since I thought gnome_init did some sort of corba
initilization.

--
Geoffrey Reedy                                       vader21 imsa edu

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS