Re: Flaws dans les plans pour dominations du monde

> Yeah, my French sucks.
> It makes more sense to me to have separate mailing lists for discussions in
> different languages, than to have multi-lingual posts on this list.  If
> you're going to post in non-English languages to this list, I'd like to
> suggest at *least* putting in a language tag that we can filter on...  E.g.,
> an X-Language: fr header, or prefixing the subject with [FR].

Well, how many people are there, who know french at least as much, as is
needed
to understand e-mails on specific topic. I'll bet that quite many.
How many of them would subscribe to french-only list - very few.
So I think, there should be only one list, and let everyone express
him(her)self
in the language of choice.

> I agree with the need to let people discuss GNOME, and other projects, in
> their native tongues, but to a lot of us (I'm assuming), the French messages
> look like noise, and that hurts the signal/noise ratio of the list.

I am not so sure that postings in french/german/... would hurt much.
Keeping list english-only does not guarantee you good signal/noise ratio
-
and if people write better in their native language, using it can even
raise the level.

> PS: I've got a thought on this involving the mailing list software that I'd
> be happy to discuss off the list.  It basically involves setting up a bunch
> of 'gnome-devel-list-<language>' submission addresses, and forwarding them
> to the gnome-devel-list list server.  The list server would then read a per-
> user preferences file, which would indicate which languages the user wanted
> to receive.  Only matching incoming messages would be sent to the user, all
> seeming to come from gnome-devel-list gnome org, and with a reply-to
> matching the submission address.

Hmmm. I have thought about adding translation feature to mailer (OK, to
be more
exact, to eveolution, that uses HTML engine for displaying mail anyway).
So
if you are really clueless, you can look up, what babelfish (or
hopefully soon
some better engine) has to say.

Btw. if having discussions in some other language serves as good reason
to took
out a dictionary and freshen memory, it is only Good Thing.

My 0.02
Lauris