Re: Canvas freeze/thaw

Rusty Conover <rconover@zootweb.com> writes:

> In my dealings with the canvas I've come to a point where I would like to add
> the feature of freezing and thawing to the canvas.  The reason is that I'm doing a
> number of object creations and transforms at once, and the canvas displays
> these actions before they are finished.  Having the canvas updated mid
> transformation degrades the total user experience.
>
> How I plan to implement the freeze capability is adding a conditional check to
> the do_update() to stop the redraw of the canvas is the conditional is true.
> When the conditional is false the update will occur as planned.  Upon thaw the
> only action is a gnome_canvas_request_update() call.
>
> The reason the conditional must go into do_update() is that there may already
> be queued updates pending and I want to stop those from occuring.

Huh?  The whole point of having the canvas delay all the updates until
the idle loop is precisely to avoid what you described in your first
paragraph.

I wonder why you are seeing partial updates; does your application not
finish all its item tweaking between two consecutive runs of the idle
loop?

  Federico