Re:Gnome is not easy to use in 800x600

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Daniel M. German wrote:

> Daniel CF twisted the bytes to say:
>
>  Daniel> Hello :
>  Daniel> I'd like to tell you a problem that i've found that is the problem for a lot of people :
>
>  Daniel> When you try to use Gnome in 800x600 pixels of screen
>  Daniel> resolution,windows of most of the programs are bigger than
>  Daniel> phisical screen. This problem has never happened using KDE
>  Daniel> desktop.
>
>  Daniel> Another important problem it's that programs never remember
>  Daniel> the size that user likes. When you close a program and then
>  Daniel> restart it, you have to resize the window again.  It is not
>  Daniel> easy.
>
> The problem is due to the fact that there is no standard way to do it
> in gnome and every application does it its own way.
>
> ggv, for instance, is one of the applications that checks the size of
> the screen (the first versions did not) so the windows are not bigger,
> and it also has an option that allows the user to 'remember' the
> geometry of the window for future sessions (as a "preference", because
> it is not the default behaviour).
>
> To check for the maximum size of the screen is not difficult when
> creating the windows (i think this can be done inside the libraries,
> which the only consequence of what to do if the user _really_ wants a
> bigger on :)
>
> The option to save the geometry is a more difficult one, that might
> have to be handled on a per-application basis..

I don't think so. The size of the window must be handled by the Window Manager
(this is is job after all, isn't it?).

But any application which doesn't work at 800x600 (or event 640x480) is buggy
and should be fixed.

> --
> Daniel M. German
> http://turingmachine.org/
> dmg@csg.uwaterloo.ca

	Saludos!
	Greetings!

--
Arturo Tena
arturo@directmail.org

"we share our source code with others in the hopes that programmers overall can
make more progress by building on each other's works than by trying blindly to
replicate what was done decades ago"
   Philip Greenspun (http://www.photo.net/wtr/thebook/suck.html)