RE: Document Centricity in GNOME [LONG]

I do not agree with the method, however I do agree that something must be
done to avoid such problems.

The problem is that code is included with documents, and runs automatically.
You cannot expect every single piece of software to make the difference
between running the code and not running it. IMHO the best solution is to
dissociate at file level the code from the document. It will allow documents
to be sent with their code attached as a separate document. Mail software
will be able to filter the document from its code, and forbids any script or
code to go through, providing users the possibility to view the document
without the danger of running unknown code.

I'm looking for an mail add-on to postfix that will filter attachments from
mails to my system. I want to have a list of authorised attachments that can
be received. For obvious reasons word documents and excel spreadsheets
should be forbidden, html also because of embeded scripts... While jpeg,
tiff, bmp, pdf documents will be authorised. I think the whole process will
be at mime level where certain mime types will be declared dangerous and
some others not.

Let me know what you think of this approach....

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: franck@sopac.org.fj <mailto:franck@sopac.org.fj>