Re: GnomeCanvasLine

On Thu, 04 May 2000, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> There's AC3D and Blender... AC3D requires a $40 registration and Blender
> will be made free in late June this year.  They're the best there is on
> Linux, next to say Pixar's software which has a $5,000 license fee.

Pixar only has Renderman running on Linux - it's hardly a
modeling/animation package.

> There's also projects like Pretty Poly and Me3D, but they're in very early
> development, and not of much use right now.  I believe most 3D work done in
> Linux (as far as games, at least), is done in AC3D or Blender, however.

Writing a good 3D modeling/animation package is _a lot_ of work, some of
it is pretty tedious. I know because I've been a 3rd party developer for
3D Studio MAX and had the access to core architecture and so on. I've
often thought about starting such a project, but it would need a team of
dedicated developers more than a little time to produce the basics of
such a system.

-Andrei

"In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt." -- Blair P. Houghton