- From: Nathan Hurst <njh hawthorn csse monash edu au>
- To: Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro <ee96090 fe up pt>
- Cc: gnome-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: GnomeCanvasLine
- Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:57:29 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 3 May 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro wrote:
> > If you really need distance, you can find smallest squared value and
> > take square root of this once.
> No square roots please! :) I mean, calculating a square root each time
> the pointer moves across the canvas is not a good idea.
How long does your sqrt operation take? How long does a branch take?
Sqrt will probably be done in the time it takes to go to main memory on a
recent CPU so they really don't cost anything significant. Something like
quake will be doing 1000s of sqrts a frame.
p.s. no-one has tracked down my link problem with eog. I'm awaiting
] [Thread Prev