Re: Back to Sodipodi!

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro wrote:

>   There is GNU project called plotutils that I think hasn't been given
> enough attention. I know libplot isn't perfect, but I think one of the
> gnome core developers should take a look at it before trying to reinvent
> the wheel.
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/plotutils.html

The problem with many GNU packages is their relative lack of exposure for
larger audience. GNU homepage is way too spartan and difficult to
navigate.
I understand, that pretty webpage is of lesser importance than good
program, but FSF seems to be interested in PROPAGATING free
software... So little advertisement will do only good.

As of plotutils - maybe we can use these in gnome-print for:
- AI output
- HPGL output (somone even asked me about it - to use sodipodi for film
  cutter)
- FIG output
- PCL output
etc.

Unfortunately it lacks at 2 things (maybe some are already implemented - I
simply looked to manual)
- alpha transparency
- way to plot into memory buffer

Lauris